Shift Your Perspective Through An Experience Of A Lifetime
We live in a material world in which the next iPhone is has become priority. Change this perception by attending one of our Africa experience and rediscover yourself and what is important to you. Learn what brings true happiness and harness the beauty and simplicity of day to day life.
Northwoods is proud to offer two unique opportunities:
- A two-week experience in Africa: 14-16 days of immersion in Africa
- An Immersion program; 60 days right in the mix of the day to day life in Kenya.
Students receive a guided tour of some of the poorest areas of Nairobi, where they work alongside individuals doing what they can medically, socially, and economically to improve the lives of people in extreme poverty and despair, with no end in sight.
They live in simple housing, eat simple meals, and are immersed 24 hours a day in the realities of this living situation, all while being counseled by Northwoods Staff.
Students who partake in these experiences gain an understanding and appreciation few Americans can ever understand.
They see the rugged landscape and culture of Eastern Africa, build bonds they never knew they could form, and gain character and understanding, the likes of which they will never forget.
Included in both programs, Northwoods students receive:
- Flights to and from Nairobi
- Ground transportation to volunteer, living, and safari sites
- 2-3 days of safari and other tourism sites such as an elephant sanctuary, giraffe learning center, local artisan markets, Nairobi National Park, and the Masaai Mara
- A variety of volunteer sites providing experiential learning in experiences such as orphanages, farms, schools, clinics, and rural village development
- Travel Insurance
- Northwoods staff to provide therapeutic conversational counseling
- Transportation to and from Boston International Airport or JFK International Airport and Northwoods Ranch & Retreat
Participants must have a valid U.S. Visa with at least 6 months’ validity remaining prior to expiration (required by many countries prior to entry).
Participants must check with guest country’s (Kenya) immigration laws to ensure they will be allowed into the country if a legal history is present.
Participants must have an adequate immunization record to be allowed into guest country, as well as for their own safety. (yellow fever entry requirement for most countries),
(tetanus, typhoid, hepatitis A, meningitis recommended)
Participants must show documentation of, or allow Northwoods to coordinate, a physician’s visit prior to departure from the United States, for prescription of anti-malarial and anti-diarrhea medications. Medications are not included and must be billed to insurance or paid for out-of-pocket.
All participants leave as a group from Northwoods unless otherwise specified.
For program costs please visit the Tuition & Fees page.
For questions please contact us at 207-416-2115