Gain your own appreciation with the experience of a lifetime during one of our trips that occur throughout the year!
Northwoods is proud to offer our Africa Experience. 14-16 days of immersion in Africa. Students receive a guided tour of some of the poorest areas of Nairobi, where they work alongside individuals doing what they can medically, socially, and economically to improve the lives of people in extreme poverty and despair, with no end in sight. They live in very simple housing, eat simple meals, and are immersed 24 hours a day in the realities of this living situation, all while being counseled by Northwoods staff who work alongside them. Students who partake in this experience gain an understanding and appreciation few Americans can ever understand. They see the rugged landscape and culture of Eastern Africa, build bonds they never knew they could form, and gain character and understanding, the likes of which they will never forget.
Included in this program of learning, Northwoods students receive:
- Flights to and from Nairobi
- Ground transportation to volunteer, living, and safari sites
- 3 days of safari and other tourism sites including an elephant sanctuary, giraffe learning center, local artisan markets, Nairobi National Park, and the Masai Mara
- Minimum of 3 different volunteer sites providing experiential learning in experiences such as orphanages, farms, schools, clinics, and rural village development
- Travel Insurance
- Northwoods staffing to provide therapeutic conversation
- Transportation to and from Boston International Airport and Northwoods Ranch and Retreat
Participants must have a valid U.S. Visa with at least 8 months’ validity remaining prior to expiration (required by many countries prior to entry).
Participants must check with guest country’s (Kenya) immigration laws to ensure they will be allowed into the country if a legal history is present.
Participants must have an adequate immunization record to be allowed into guest country, as well as for their own safety. (yellow fever entry requirement for most countries),
(tetanus, typhoid, hepatitis A, meningitis recommended)
Participants must show documentation of, or allow Northwoods to coordinate, a physician’s visit prior to departure from the United States, for prescription of anti-malarial and anti-diarrheal medications.
All participants leave as a group from Northwoods unless otherwise specified.
For program costs please visit the Tuition & Fees page.
For questions please contact us at 207-416-2115